I’m a full-time travel writer, contributing to newspapers, magazines, and websites in the UK and worldwide.
In addition I’ve written over 40 guidebooks, one podcast, three radio plays, a collection of my travel writing (Snakes Alive), an erotic novel (Hot Aegean Nights) and a crime novel (Strip till Dead).
My awards include:
- A Travelex Award for Best Travel Consumer Magazine Feature
- A British Guild of Travel Writers Award
- Two Awards for Excellence from the Outdoor Writers and Photographers Guild
- A Benjamin Franklin Award in the USA for a guidebook to Paris
- One of the Press Gazette’s 50 Most Influential Travel Journalists in the UK
- AITO Online Travel Writer of the Year
I publish several travel content websites and two drinks websites, publish the Beyond Travel Guides, and divide my time between my homes in Cambridgeshire in the UK and near Tucson in Arizona.
‘This must be one of my favourite articles ever. I love it. It really took me back to the Metropolitan – such a special place.’
‘Tremendous story Mike! Fantastic lead and closing. As a PR person, I love you! As a travel writer, I hate you! Damn! I wish I could write leads like that. This article is about as good as it gets! We’ll promote it and get you (and us!) thousands of views.’
Rich Grant, Former Communications Director, www.visitdenver.com and now freelance PR and writer, commenting on my piece The Train they Never Robbed, published on my travel page at The Huffington Post.